Thursday, December 7, 2023

The Dr Who Cruise Part 6

Friday, October 27 – Mexico

The alarm got us up at 6 AM. We crawled out of bed and got to the buffet for breakfast by 6:30. After eating, we slogged back to our cabin for bottles of water for the excursion. We each confessed that we were tired, and debated if we should even go on a 4-hour walking tour of Mayan Ruins. So we went down to the ship’s conference center, where the group was meeting, to tell D we wouldn’t make it to the ruins. Then another elevator ride up to our cabin, where I fell into bed.

About 2 hours later, I woke up and climbed out of bed. Again. We had about an hour before lunch would be served in the buffet, so we went to the card room, where I wrote. Hubby was done with his DW script and had turned it over to D on the only thumb drive he had brought with him, so he didn’t feel he could write. He tried to play solitaire on the laptop but got frustrated when it didn’t react as quickly as he thought it should. He took the laptop back to our cabin and walked until lunch time.

We were joined in the buffet by 2 other DW people, so we had conversation during lunch. Back in our room, we watched “Night at the Museum” (#1) to pass some time before we needed to head for the Music Hall, where Dominic would give a musical recital at 3:30. Dominic is a composer who has worked with the DW show.

We left our cabin about 2:50 and went to deck 8 to stroll through Central Park, which took us right to the Music Hall. We got there about 3 PM. The hall wasn’t open yet. We talked with a couple other early-birds for maybe 10 minutes, then Hubby wandered off into Central Park. I followed him until I found a table where I could sit and continue writing. It wasn’t long before Hubby returned with a couple desserts, which we devoured at my little table. Then back to the Music Hall, where we could now get in and choose our seats.

Hubby picked seats located in front of a small stage set to the left of the main stage. D asked us to move because the small stage was where Dominick was going to be. So we moved to seats at the bar, about 3 feet from where we had been sitting.

The music started at 3:30 and continued until 4:33 or thereabouts. It was great fun, a composition based on DW music. After it was over, we all had to beat feet to the Aqua Theater on deck 6, so the photographer could get our group photo taken. After that, I stopped at the candy shop to buy some jelly beans, and then we returned to our cabin, where I convinced Hubby to lay down for a nap.

About 7, we headed for the social hour at the chosen bar. We traveled aft via deck 5, where we found several members of the DW group waiting to get a group photo, so we joined them. After the photo, we went to the floating bar, which periodically rises very slowly to deck 8. By the time we got off on 8, it was after 7:30, so Hubby and I took an elevator back to deck 5 and joined the crowd collecting in front of the doors for the Main Dining Room. At 7:40, those doors opened, and for once, we were not the last ones to our table.

The Dining Room was offering lobster tails. I think everybody at our table ordered one. Some—like me—also ordered a 2nd main dish. The lobster tails were served, and several of them were then handed off to people who had ordered one, but wanted a second. (The ship was charging for a second lobster tail, but not for other second main courses.) So, for 20-30 minutes, I sat with a lobster tail in front of me as a favor for my husband. I was hungry, so I ate the carrots and broccoli, which I wasn’t sure he would eat anyway. When Hubby finally finished his first tail, we were exchanging plates when the waiter grabbed the empty plate and whisked it away, then brought my actual main course. It was cheese tortellini, and I enjoyed it a lot. I hope Hubby enjoyed his lobster tails as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment