Saturday, June 1, 2024

Publishing Made Simpler

A few months ago, I made some changes to one of John’s books, and then I tried to republish it. Unfortunately, I made some errors in the formatting as I got ready to republish it, and when I sent the new manuscript to smashwords’ publishing software, those formatting errors were obvious. So I listed that book as ‘unpublished’, thinking it wouldn’t take me long to fix the formatting errors.

I was wrong. Whatever I had done wrong, it was there to stay, so I had to remove ALL the formatting and then put correct formatting back in. Usually, this takes me about a week, if I can spend most of my time concentrating on it. But I couldn’t focus on it like that. John’s health wasn’t good, and then I started having my own health issues, and months went by where I couldn’t focus on that book at all.

But I kept picking at it, doing a chapter here and there, and I finally got the formatting done. I was ready to republish!

Meanwhile, smashwords and Draft2Digital merged. I was notified that Draft2Digital would be doing the publishing, and smashwords would only be a storefront. My first thought was a sarcastic, “Great, now I have to learn how to format books for Draft2Digital’s publishing software.” I have to admit that I procrastinated looking at Draft2Digital’s formatting requirements for a few days. I didn’t want to go through and reformat that book again.

But I finally took a few minutes to look it up, and their requirements were vastly simpler than smashwords’ had been! I was still ready to republish!

It’s always good when a new process is simpler than the old process.

No comments:

Post a Comment