Friday, January 28, 2022

The Problem With Deadlines

How many times have you found yourself working in a frenzy to get some project done before a certain deadline? I've long since lost count, but then, I didn't try to keep count way back in school, when I had reports, science projects and other such things that were due at a certain time. Really, when you were in school, did you learn anything from having to go through a very uncomfortable day or weekend when you were rushing to get a project done? I didn't. I may have started that 10-page report a week before it was due, but I was still rushing to get it done before I had to turn it in.

It continued into my adult life, as well. Let's say I dreamed up a new costume that I wanted to wear at a certain sf convention. It was not at all unusual for me to be rushing, trying to get it done before I had to pack the car to go to that convention. I remember one costume in particular where I was still hemming the legs and arms as somebody else drove across 2 states to get to the convention.

I'd like to say I've finally learned my lesson, but that last week before Villicon where I was not only making prosthetics, but packaging them and packing them as well, that was not a joyful time for me. I spent an entire day standing at the kitchen island, sorting through prosthetics, packaging and pricing them, and then stuffing them into boxes in something resembling order. Since I'm usually sitting at my desk most of the day, it's no wonder I then spent 2 nights and a day suffering from leg cramps.

And the aftermath of that rushing around isn't really pleasant, either. Friday of Villicon, we got up and finished packing the car, dropped the dog at the kennel and drove into Orlando to the hotel. Once there, we spent about an hour unloading the car and carrying all our stuff to our tables - John was there with the Klingons, and I with my dealer's table. Then we each had to organize our stuff on our tables, and finally, about 2 pm, we hurried across the street to get some lunch. That was the first thing I'd eaten that day, and, it turned out, the only thing I ate that day.

I like going to conventions, but they are not relaxing for me. I'm an introvert, and being surrounded by a few hundred strangers grates on my nerves. Imagine spending 3 days listening to fingernails drug across a chalkboard. I need quiet time in my own place to truly relax.

It wasn't until Monday that I got to go back to my 'usual' day at home and could relax. Except I realized I wasn't really relaxed, I kept thinking I had to DO something to meet a deadline. No matter how many times I told myself I had no immediate deadlines, I still had the uncomfortable feeling that I did. That lasted for 2 days.

By Wednesday, I was over that 'Looming Deadline' fear, but I wasn't back to my usual routine yet. I found myself pushing aside almost all my daily chores in favor of... playing games. And not even the games I usually play; I dug up an oldie that I hadn't played in a year or so. Maybe that was the day I actually relaxed.

Now I'm facing another deadline, another convention, in about 3 1/2 weeks. I will be trying to make more product, more prosthetics, because I've got the raw material that is getting old and needs to be used before it goes bad. So I need to get started doing that. Tomorrow I'll be trying to catch up on the chores I didn't do today, and then I'll get started on that.

I hope.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment