Saturday, July 29, 2023

Nearing the End in Hawaii

Thursday, 4/27 - I got up at 6:30 for our morning excursion to the 'Grand Canyon of the Pacific'. First, we made a stop at a rocky beach to see a spatterhorn in action. That's where the incoming waves go into a tunnel in the rocks and shoots out a hole on the beach, looking much like a geyser. Very interesting.

Then we went to the canyon, which was beautiful, much greener than the mainland grand canyon. We weren't getting back to the ship until about 2, so we made a short stop in a small town, where most people got off and got a bite to eat to tide them over. John wasn't doing very well on the way back, and he promptly lay down for a nap. I took my book back to the library and read for an hour there, then went to the bar in the lobby and got a Bahama Mama. As I sat there, a long line of people walked by on their way to the luau. I heard some 700 people had signed up for that. About 1 1/2 hr after john lay down, I went back to the room and waited for him to wake. After another hour, he stirred and rolled over. I asked him if he wanted supper, and he said no, so I went to the skyline by myself. I was waiting for my 2 desserts (couldn't decide on one) when he walked in and found me, so I guess he did want supper, but he kept complaining the room was warm. After supper, he turned in for the night, and I wasn't too far behind him.

Friday, 4/28 - I got up at 6:30, even though I had set the wake-up call for 7. We had breakfast in the buffet, although we didn't have a shore excursion scheduled this day, then I got off the ship just far enough to use my phone to call John's ENT, but the office was closed. Was it that late? Didn't seem like it to me, even counting the 6 hrs of time difference. Meanwhile, John checked our account balance, then we started looking for face masks for our shore excursion the next day. The Pearl Harbor Memorial, we were told, requires face masks be worn while inside. The ship's souvenir shop didn't have any, but the medical center handed them over cheerfully. We went to deck 11 to do some reading. About 11, we went to the room to pack everything we weren't going to need. At noon, we went for lunch, then John wanted a nap, but was coughing too hard to sleep, so he went to deck 11 to take pictures. I sat in the room writing.

About 5 pm, we went to deck 11 to try to see the beautiful Nali Pai shoreline. The ship had left its dock about 2 and traveled to the east side of the island so people could see this spectacular view before it turned around and headed for Honolulu. It had been a misty day, and unfortunately, as we approached the Nali Pai shoreline, the clouds came down to sea level and obscured the view. So we went to supper at the buffet, since we were already on deck 11. John had a couple desserts, while I had corn on the cob, celery, apricots and walnuts. Back to our room to make sure everything was packed, then John went to bed. I put the big suitcases out to be disembarked for us, and went to bed about 7:45, but because it was so early, I spent some time thinking about the next scene in my Work in Progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment