Thursday, December 8, 2022

A day at Sea & Another Day at Sea

Wednesday, 11/9/22 - A Day at Sea

We were supposed to dock at Norwegian's private island on this day, but we were still trying to skirt around Hurricane Nichole, so it was a day at sea. We had booked a shore excursion for this day, but obviously, it was cancelled. After breakfast, I went to the gym and spent half an hour on a stationary bike. It had a screen on it, and you could choose one of several courses to 'ride' on. I chose Monument Valley. It was a little disconcerting to have a screen full of desert, and all around the screen was ocean and sky, as the bike faced a glass wall on the side of the ship. But I got half an hour done, and felt good about it.

Back to the stateroom, where I found John watching the election results. He grabbed the laptop to go do some writing, and I grabbed paper and pens to do the same thing. If you know John, you know he needs absolute quiet to write. We hadn't yet found the library, and the 'internet cafe' was a wide spot in the deck 6 atrium, which included a busy bar, a Starbuck's, music from the dance floor, and 6 desks where passengers could ask questions, make restaurant reservations, and so on. So much not a quiet place for him to work.

Later, we ran into each other at the Deck 6 Atrium bar, where I had gone to get a coke. Turns out Microsoft had decided our laptop needed an update, and wouldn't let us use Word until it had gotten the update. So the laptop was useless. He switched gears and started looking for a relatively quiet place to read.

Meanwhile, there wasn't any space for me at the bar to write (I don't need quiet), so I went to the pool area and managed to find a table there, but before long, it started raining on me, my table being in the open. We ran into each other again, and found the library, tucked away in a nook on deck 6. It was small, and doubled as the card room, and all four tables were being used for cards, so it wouldn't do for us. We went back up to the pool area, and then up to deck 16, where we found some chairs set up for people to use. Deck 16 also had the jogging track, so John decided to do some walking, and I worked on my writing.

Sometime after 1, we found each other again and went for lunch, which was not that memorable. After that, the sun had come out, so we changed and went to the hot tub for close to an hour.

About 5:30, we went to The Taste for supper. The Taste and Savor were 2 complimentary restaurants situated directly across from each other on deck 6. They were decorated similarly, and shared the same menu. We never had a problem with Savor, but unfortunately, this night in the Taste, the service was soooo slooow! We missed the 7:00 show in the theater, but we did get to the 7:30 show, where Sioblane Walsh did some fantastic Whitney Houston songs. By the time that got out, John (who is an early riser) was ready to sleep, so our day reached its conclusion.

 

Thursday, 11/10/22 - Another Day at Sea

This was another day at sea, but this one was scheduled as such. We went to the buffet for breakfast, where John got an omelet and lots of other protein. I got a bowl of grits with dried cranberries, pecans and brown sugar. I wanted cream of wheat, but their choices were oatmeal or grits. Afterwards, John went to do his walking, and I went to the gym to bike for half an hour.

We had done it again, separated without deciding when and where to meet. I went to the pool bar to write, and got a coke to drink. Later, I got a vodka and cranberry, which I thought would be a great combination, but... not so much. At 12, I went to try and find John for lunch. I didn't find him, but I wasn't hungry, so I didn't worry about it. We finally found each other and did some errands, had a drink each and listened to the music on deck 6. I think John had a mudslide, and I don't remember what I had. His mudslide looked kind of like a chocolate shake, and kind of tasted like it, too.

Then we went to the main dining room when it opened for dinner. We didn't realize they would have a 20-30 minute dance show in the middle of our meal. Apparently, it was to whet our appetites for the full version of the dance show that would be given several days later in the cruise. Anyway, the show started just as we were served our entrees, and it seemed that all service came to a dead stop when the dancing started. We were wondering if we would have to walk out without any desserts in order to make it to the comedy show being held in the theater. But luckily, we got to have our 'cake' and make it to the theater in time for the show. I even paused for half a minute to tell Ms Walsh how much I had enjoyed her rendition of Whitney Houston songs.

The theater show was late starting due to some kind of technical issues. When it did start, it was fun, and I was glad we had made it in time. There were 2 comedians, each lasting about 20-25 minutes. The first one was pretty typical and even good. The second one was... more on the odd side. He seemed to specialize in extreme movements, if you can imagine what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment