Monday, January 10, 2011

Mac

Have I ever told you about Mac?

Mac is my favorite character. I have a soft spot in my heart for all my characters, or I can't relate to them long enough to write their story. But Mac is my favorite. When she gets angry in her story, I lash out at the world in anger; when she feels hopeless, I get depressed; when her libido is aroused, I get—Well, I'm sure you get the idea.

Mac is a complicated woman, hardly more than a little girl in some ways, but well able to defend her honor, as well as aware that it sometimes needs defended. Although friendly to most of her shipmates, there are few who manage to earn her trust. And those few reciprocate that bond, even when she completely exasperates them!

I'm not sure you'll ever read Mac's story. I think of it as a trilogy, and I've never managed to finish the first installment, even though I've worked on it – exclusively – twice now, for at least a year each time. Even what I've got done – maybe ¾ of the first installment – is huge, and every time I peek at it, I think of another scene to add to 'enhance' it.

Some authors have stories they just have to write, even if it never gets published, and they will work on that story every chance they get. I guess I'm different; I have a story I don't dare work on, because it will monopolize all my time and I wouldn't get anything else done (let alone anything else written). But there is an up side to this. If I never finish Mac's story, Mac is one 'child' who will never leave the nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment